We are delighted that you have selected Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP ("BAL") to provide you with a 15-minute consultation regarding immigration law. This agreement sets forth the terms of your engagement with BAL.
- Scope: BAL is providing 15 minutes of general guidance to you regarding the immigration impacts of a layoff on your immigration status or permanent residence application. BAL has not verified any of your underlying facts or documents and is relying solely on the truthfulness, accuracy and completeness of information that you provide BAL during the call. If the facts are different than what you represent to BAL, BAL cannot be held liable for the advice BAL gives to you.
It is understood that this agreement is strictly limited to one 15-minute consultation, and does not include any other work, such as immigration filings with a government agency. The term of this agreement is, therefore, the time of the consultation. Following the consultation, BAL’s engagement is concluded and this agreement is terminated. As there is no work being completed by BAL beyond the consultation call, BAL will not have a file to retain on you. BAL has no ongoing obligations to you nor will BAL take any further actions on your behalf. Any actions that BAL recommends with respect to government filings or departure dates will be solely your responsibility.
- Fees: BAL has agreed to a fixed fee of $50 for the 15-minute consultation. This is based on a discounted rate of BAL's normal hourly rate for associate attorneys of $400 per hour. You have paid the fee online prior to your consultation and no other fees are due BAL.
- Confidentiality: BAL has a duty of confidentiality to you and each of its other clients. BAL takes this duty very seriously and, except to the extent permitted or required by the applicable rules of professional conduct, BAL will not disclose any confidential information to any other client or person. Similarly, BAL cannot disclose to you the confidences of any other client, even when such information relates to matters that might affect you.
- Limitations on Liability and Waivers of Future Conflicts: Except to the extent finally determined to have resulted from BAL’s gross negligence or intentional misconduct, BAL’s aggregate liability to pay damages for losses incurred in connection with the consultation is limited to the total amount of fees paid to BAL. In addition, BAL will not be liable in any event for lost profits, consequential, indirect, punitive, exemplary, or special damages.BAL’s agreement to consult with you is conditioned upon the understanding that BAL is free to represent any clients and to take positions adverse to you in any matters which do not involve the same factual and legal issues you present to BAL. You agree that you will not seek to disqualify BAL from any such present or future representations and hereby waive any actual or potential conflict that might arise from such current or future representations. You are encouraged to consult with other counsel about the consequences of this waiver.
- Arbitration: Any claim arising out of or relating to this engagement agreement, or a breach thereof, shall be settled by arbitration in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association, and judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator(s) may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. This Agreement shall be construed in accordance with the Laws of the State of Texas.
- Entire Agreement: This Agreement represents the entire agreement between you and BAL. This Agreement shall be construed and interpreted so as to be enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law, and the unenforceability of any provision shall not affect any other provision hereof.
- Required Notices: The State Bar requires that BAL advise you as follows: "The State Bar investigates and prosecutes professional misconduct committed by Texas attorneys. Although not every complaint against or dispute with a lawyer involves professional misconduct, the State Bar Office of General Counsel will provide you with information about how to file a complaint. For more information, you may call 1-800-932-1900. This is a toll-free call."
Confirm acceptance of these terms and conditions by scheduling your appointment. We look forward to speaking with you.