Visas on arrival extended to 10 countries
3 Feb 16
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Azerbaijan has simplified visa procedures for five Asian countries and all Gulf Cooperation Council member states, allowing their citizens to apply for visas upon arrival.
What does the change mean? Nationals of Bahrain, China, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore and South Korea may apply for single-entry visas that are valid for 30 days upon arrival at the airport. This procedure already applies to citizens of the United Arab Emirates.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate.
- Visas/permits affected: Visas on arrival. The type of visa issued will depend on the purpose of the visit indicated by the applicant.
- Who is affected: Nationals of the designated countries.
- Impact on processing times: Designated nationals will no longer be required to obtain a visa at a consulate before travel.
- Business impact: The change will facilitate business travel to Azerbaijan.
- Next steps: Designated nationals may apply for an entry visa at the visa section of the consular department at the international airport in Azerbaijan.
Background: The Foreign Ministry announced the change to increase business contacts and promote tourism to the country.
BAL Analysis: Business travelers should indicate the purpose of their visit when applying for a visa on arrival, and will be issued a business visa valid for a single entry of 30 days. Employees in certain industries, such as mining, manufacturing, IT, and others, are allowed to perform work on a business visa if they have documentation confirming secondment by an employer.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Azerbaijan. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.