Upcoming elections may lengthen processing times
22 Oct 15
IMPACT – HIGH
What is the change? Venezuela will hold parliamentary elections Dec. 6, following which, possible changes to government posts may cause delays in processing.
What does the change mean? Applicants are encouraged to plan for longer timelines and, where possible, to file applications early so they may obtain necessary visas or permits before December.
- Implementation time frame: Early December and beyond.
- Visas/permits affected: All government services.
- Who is affected: Companies and foreign employees seeking government services.
- Impact on processing times: Processing may take significantly longer following Dec. 6.
- Business impact: Businesses should begin planning now and may have to re-arrange travel schedules or start dates.
Background: The election will determine seats in the National Assembly (Asamblea Nacional), a majority of which are currently occupied by President Nicolás Maduro’s United Socialist Party of Venezuela.
BAL Analysis: Employers are strongly encouraged to finalize all applications as early as possible.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Venezuela. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact email@example.com.