Quota applications due by end of August
3 Aug 15
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Companies seeking work permits for foreign workers in job categories subject to quotas in 2016 should file their quota applications before the end of August.
- Implementation time frame: Although Sept. 1 is the deadline set by legislation, in practice, authorities will accept them only until Aug. 28.
- Visas/permits affected: Work permits and work visas.
- Who is affected: Companies seeking work permits for quota-subject foreign workers in 2016.
- Business impact: Failure to file may prevent a company from being able to hire foreign workers.
- Next steps: Companies should plan to file their applications as soon as possible.
Background: Filing a quota application is an annual procedure for companies who rely on foreign workers in job categories covered by quotas. Companies that do not file the applications cannot apply for work permits if quotas expire.
BAL Analysis: In addition to the mandatory quota application, employers are encouraged to file voluntary projections of their foreign labor needs for 2016 with the Department of Labor to receive priority consideration when additional quota numbers become available.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Kazakhstan. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.