New rules set for intracompany transfers in Milan
26 May 15
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? The Milan Immigration Office has set new document rules for intracompany transferees to show that they have highly specialization knowledge within their field.
What does the change mean? University diplomas are no longer accepted. In lieu of a diploma, the applicant must produce a detailed CV containing educational and work experience or a letter from the sending employer attesting to the individual’s highly specialized knowledge.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate.
- Visas/permits affected: Work permits.
- Who is affected: Companies applying for permits for intracompany transferees in Milan.
- Impact on processing times: The change is not expected to add to processing time and may shorten the wait in cases where obtaining a university diploma would have been difficult and caused delay.
- Business impact: Foreign nationals who do not hold a university degree may now qualify for intracompany transfer (ICT) permits, provided that they have adequate work experience.
- Next steps: Affected applicants should prepare a detailed CV or obtain a letter from the sending employer and have it legalized or apostilled and translated into Italian.
Background: Intracompany transferees must demonstrate that they have at least six months of experience in the same sector or with the same sending company.
BAL Analysis: The change is seen as good news for ICT applicants by allowing them to demonstrate their experience without a university degree. It is limited to Milan and is not expected to be adopted by other jurisdictions.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Italy. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact email@example.com.