Immigration offices to close for the holidays
7 Dec 18
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM) offices will be closed for the holidays from Dec. 19 to Jan. 7.
What does the change mean? Visa and work permit applications that are pending during the closure may be delayed. Employers and foreign nationals should submit applications as soon as possible and account for potential delays in processing. Travelers entering Mexico with a stamped Mexican visa for exchange during this time period will not be able to leave the country until the immigration offices reopen.
- Implementation time frame: Dec. 19 to Jan. 7.
- Visas/permits affected: All visas and permits. Travel for those entering Mexico during this period with stamped Mexican visas for exchange will be particularly affected.
- Who is affected: Employers and foreign nationals.
- Impact on processing times: Processing times will be longer, and a backlog of cases may develop immediately following Jan. 7, when offices reopen.
- Business impact: Businesses may need to adjust timelines and start dates due to expected delays in visa and work permit processing.
Background: Immigration offices will close for three weeks for the Christmas and New Year’s holidays. Processing will come to a halt during this period. Applications that are filed now may not be processed and returned before Dec. 19, and it is important that employers and foreign nationals consider any necessary additional steps. Applicants should note that holiday-related delays may be exacerbated by major staff changes at the INM due to the recent transition in government.
Analysis & Comments: Applicants should plan to file any time-sensitive applications as early as possible before Dec. 19 to mitigate delays associated with the holidays and staffing changes at the INM. Foreign nationals planning travel to Mexico should take note of the travel restrictions and plan their schedules accordingly. Processing delays should be expected in the days after offices reopen.
Source: Deloitte LLP. Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.