Immigration Department closed until further notice
4 Sep 18
IMPACT – HIGH
What is the change? The Directorate of Migration has been closed until further notice amid an investigation into human trafficking allegedly involving 10 officials.
What does the change mean? The office will be closed until further notice and appointments must be rescheduled.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate and ongoing.
- Visas/permits affected: All immigration services.
- Who is affected: All applicants seeking services at the Directorate of Migration.
- Impact on processing times: Applicants should anticipate processing delays.
- Business impact: Companies may need to delay business schedules and work start dates, depending on the length of the closure.
- Next steps: Applicants should contact the Dirección General de Migración y Extranjería to reschedule their appointments.
BAL Analysis: The directorate is expected to reopen Friday, but employers and foreign national employees should anticipate delays and a possible backlog following the reopening. Individuals with previously scheduled appointments should work with their BAL professional to get them rescheduled.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Costa Rica. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2018 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact email@example.com.