Express appointment system for Mercosur applicants canceled
26 Feb 18
IMPACT – HIGH
What is the change? Due to high demand, Argentina’s immigration authorities have canceled express appointments for Mercosur nationals applying for temporary residence cards or seeking to convert to permanent residence status.
What does the change mean? Mercosur nationals should anticipate significant delays while the National Immigration Office looks for alternative ways to alleviate the current delays.
- Implementation time frame: Immediate.
- Visas/permits affected: Temporary residence cards and permanent residency.
- Who is affected: Mercosur nationals applying for Argentinian temporary residency or converting to permanent residency.
- Impact on processing times: Regular appointments are currently requiring six months and may take longer now that express appointments have been canceled.
- Business impact: The delays will affect work start dates; companies should plan business schedules accordingly.
- Next steps: Mercosur nationals may consider applying for a short-term work permit valid for 90 days upon their arrival in Argentina.
Background: The National Immigration Office announced the cancelation of express appointments on Friday with immediate effect. Regular appointments are currently delayed by six months, but are now the only option for Mercosur nationals seeking to secure an appointment.
BAL Analysis: Mercosur nationals working in Argentina should anticipate significant appointment delays in obtaining their residence cards while authorities work to resolve the issue. BAL is following these developments and will report any new changes to address the delays.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Argentina. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2018 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact email@example.com.