Applications for multiple-entry visas experiencing processing delays
15 May 15
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Processing of multiple-entry visas for foreign workers applying in-country is experiencing significant delays.
What does the change mean? Applications for multiple-entry visas submitted in-country are taking at least two months.
- Implementation time frame:Immediate and ongoing.
- Visas/permits affected:Multiple-entry visas.
- Who is affected:Foreign nationals applying from within Trinidad and Tobago.
- Impact on processing times:Normal processing times of two to three weeks have been extended to two months or longer.
- Business impact:The delays may impact business schedules and travel dates and also increase costs for foreign workers who may have to pay the entry tax upon re-entry.
- Next steps:Applicants should apply as soon as possible and take into account longer processing times to secure a visa before scheduled travel out of the country.
Background: Multiple-entry visas – issued after a foreign national arrives in the country – allow foreign employees in Trinidad and Tobago to enter and exit the country without having to pay a re-entry tax. Due to recent internal affairs, government processing times are longer than normal.
BAL Analysis: Foreign nationals applying for multiple-entry visas should plan for significantly longer processing times. In addition, there have recently been cases of multiple-entry permit holders being erroneously charged the re-entry fee at the airport. Travelers should be prepared for possible miscommunication at entry points.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Trinidad and Tobago. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.