Accreditation card processing suspended for some Russian, foreign nationals
27 Feb 15
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? The Ministry of Economic Development has suspended processing of accreditation cards for Russian nationals who are invited to work in a foreign company’s Ukrainian representative office. The suspension is also in effect for foreigners of any nationality who are sent by a Russian company to work at a Ukraine branch office.
What does the change mean? These applications are currently on hold until further notice.
- Implementation timeframe: Immediate.
- Visas/permits affected: Accreditation cards.
- Who is affected: Any Russian national invited to work in a Ukraine branch of a foreign company; any non-Ukrainian national invited to work at a Ukraine-based representative office of a Russian company.
- Impact on processing times: Processing is suspended.
- Business impact: The suspension will disrupt business for any company sending Russian assignees to a Ukrainian affiliate, as well as for Ukraine-based representative offices of Russian companies, but so far it does not affect work permit processing.
Background: The Ministry has said that it has stopped processing any accreditation card applications involving Russian citizens sent to work in a Ukraine office regardless of the parent company’s country and Ukrainian representative offices of Russian companies. The Ministry said it was following verbal instructions from authorities.
BAL Analysis: Because of the conflict in Ukraine, employers should expect sudden changes to policies regarding Russian nationals. BAL is following these developments and will update clients with any changes.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group in the United Kingdom. For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact email@example.com.