Mexican immigration offices to close for 3 weeks
2 Dec 15
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Instituto Nacional de Migración offices will be closed from Dec. 18 to Jan. 6.
What does the change mean? Visa and work permit applications that are pending during the closure may be delayed by three weeks or more. Employers and foreign nationals should submit applications as soon as possible, but should also consider steps that may need to be taken while applications are pending.
- Implementation timeframe: Dec. 18, 2015 to Jan. 6, 2016.
- Visas/permits affected:All visas, permits and other immigration services.
- Who is affected: Anyone in need of services at an INM office.
- Impact on processing times:Processing times will be delayed by the three-week closure.
- Business impact:Businesses may need to adjust timelines and start dates due to expected delays in visa and work permit processing.
Background: INM’s offices will close for three weeks for the Christmas and New Year’s holidays. Processing will come to a halt during this period. Applications that are filed now may not be processed and returned before Dec. 18, and it is important that employers and foreign nationals consider any necessary additional steps. Foreign nationals who plan to leave the country for the holidays, for example, may need to apply for and obtain an exit permit before traveling outside of Mexico.
BAL Analysis: Employers with pending work permit applications, work permit renewals or other applications should work with their BAL professional to take steps that could avoid additional delays or difficulties.
This alert has been provided by the BAL Global Practice group and our network provider located in Mexico. For additional information, please contact your BAL attorney.
Copyright © 2016 Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. All rights reserved. Reprinting or digital redistribution to the public is permitted only with the express written permission of Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP. For inquiries please contact email@example.com.