Government releases updated holiday schedule
20 Dec 18
IMPACT – MEDIUM
What is the change? Mexican government officials have announced that Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM) offices will be closed only on Dec. 25 and Jan. 1.
What does the change mean? The update provides additional time for immigration processing during the holiday season since immigration offices will only be closed for Christmas and New Year’s Day. However, employers and foreign nationals should note that immigration processing and resolution may be delayed through the beginning of the year due to reduced immigration staff at the INM during this period.
- Implementation time frame: Immigration offices will be closed Dec. 25 and Jan. 1.
- Visas/permits affected: All visas and permits. Travel for those entering Mexico during this period with stamped Mexican visas for exchange will be particularly affected.
- Who is affected: Employers and foreign nationals.
- Impact on processing times: Processing times will be longer during the holiday period, and a backlog of cases may develop immediately following Jan. 2, when offices reopen.
- Business impact: Businesses may need to adjust timelines and start dates due to expected delays in visa and work permit processing.
Background: In the days leading up to and following the closures, many offices will reduce their staffs, causing additional delays. Applicants should note that holiday-related delays may be exacerbated by major staff changes at the INM due to the recent transition in government.
Analysis & Comments: Applicants should plan to file any time-sensitive applications as early as possible before Dec. 24 to mitigate delays. Foreign nationals planning travel to Mexico should take note of the travel restrictions and plan their schedules accordingly. Processing delays should be expected in the days after offices reopen.
Source: Deloitte LLP. Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.